If you ask the kids to tell you something about August – they may tell you, somewhat sadly, that summer vacation is almost over. In reality most of them are starting to look forward to a new school year because they may be getting just a little bored.
See if you can pique their interest with some research projects. Research projects can be fun and can help reduce with summer learning loss. This week we are listing some fun facts that occur in August. Offer up some research time on the computer and let us know what else the kids have discovered about the last month of summer.
Facts for the month of August:
- August has two birthstones, the Peridot and the sardonyx.
- August also has two birth flowers, the gladiolus and the poppy.
- August is National Family Fun Month
- August is National Peach Month
- August is National Golf Month
- August is National Picnic Month
- August is Romance Awareness Month
- The zodiac signs for August are Leo (July 23 – August 22) and Virgo (August 23 – September 22)
Daily Fun Facts for the month of August:
- Friendship Day – first Sunday of August
- August 1, 1876 – Colorado, also known as the Centennial State, became the 38th state of the United States.
- August 2, 1909 – the Lincoln penny was issued.
- August 3, 1492 – Christopher Columbus set sail on his first voyage across the Atlantic.
- August 3rd is National Watermelon Day
- August 5, 1864 – During the Civil War, the Battle of Mobile Bay was won by the Union forces.
- August 5th – This is the day to celebrate the Spirit of Sisterhood.
- August 6, 1926 – Gertrude Ederle successfully swam the English Channel.
- August 6, 1945 – The first atomic bomb was used in warfare on Hiroshima, Japan.
- August 7, 1942 – the U.S. troops landed on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands during World War II.
- August 9, 1974 – Richard M. Nixon resigned from office, making him the first United States president to ever resign from office.
- August 12, 1877 – the phonograph was invented by Thomas Edison.
- August 12, 1898 – Hawaii was annexed by the United States.
- August 13th – Vinyl Record Day (you remember them, don’t you?)
- August 13th – National Lefthander’s Day!
- August 15th – Lemon Meringue Pie Day (my personal favorite!)
- August 16, 1977 – Elvis Presley died.
- August 20, 1630 -Lemonade was first served in Paris, France.
- August 24th – On this day in A.D 79, Mount Vesuvius erupted and destroyed the cities of Pompeii, Stabiae and Herculaneum.
- August 26 – Women’s Equality Day.
- August 28th – Full Moon on. Also known as Dog Day’s Moon. At 3:52 AM we can also see a total eclipse of the moon (if you want to get up early)
- August 30th – Today is National Toasted Marshmallow Day
Summer Joke: Why shouldn’t you tell secrets on the farm? Because the corn has ears, the potatoes have eyes and the beanstalks.