What did you learn in school today? Nothing.
Did you do your homework? Yup.
Do you want to talk about it? Nope.
This conversation happens in homes all over the country every day. It may happen in your house. Are you left feeling frustrated and wondering what you can do?
You want to make sure your child really understands what he or she is reading, can comprehend and make connections with other material, and is able to talk to you about the material and what he or she is learning. It’s a lot – especially if you have no training as a teacher. That’s why Elaine Meyers, a teacher and reading specialist with 25+ years of experience, created READS.
Benefits of READS include:
- Works with any reading material whether it’s chosen by the teacher, parent or child. There is no need to buy supplemental reading material.
- Enhances the parent’s skills to effectively help their child with reading.
- Provides a method to verify that the child comprehended the material read.
- Helps to develop the child’s critical thinking skills.
- Helps to improve the children’s ability to express themselves by promoting conversations between parent and child.
- Works for elementary grades 1 – 4 for readers below, at or above grade level.
- Conforms to the Common Core States Standards http://www.corestandards.org/
- Make reading homework both fun and rewarding for parent and child.
What READS contains:
Question Cards and ring – 30 question cards designed to ensure your child’s focus on the reading material, help you determine if your child comprehended the material read and to develop your child’s critical thinking skills. Each card also contains a visual clue that matches the question on the card. The purpose behind each question is explained in the parent’s manual along with examples of the type of response you can expect from your child. These questions are aligned with the Core State Standards (see the Links page for more information).
READS Parent’s Manual – Describes how to use READS with your child. Explains each component of READS, how to develop a dialog with your child about their reading and the meaning of each question card. Describes techniques to help your child answer the questions correctly and includes suggestions for rewards.
Rewards Chart & Stickers – Kids love to track their progress and have tangible goals that are meaningful to them. The Rewards Chart and stickers help them do just that. The Parent’s Manual includes suggestions for rewards appropriate for elementary school children.
Magic Finger – The Magic Finger helps your young reader track the text from word to word and prevents her from losing her place as she reads.
Reading Guide Strip – The Reading Guide Strip highlights the line being read and blocks out the lines of text above and below to focus your child’s attention on one sentence at a time.
Speedy Speller – Speedy Speller, a Handbook for Readers and Writers puts young writers in charge and provides them with their own spelling handbook that keeps growing. The Speedy Speller contains 1,400 words along with commonly used abbreviations, numbers, symbols, punctuation and more.
Reusable Storage Pouch – A phthalate free clear vinyl pouch with a Velcro closure to store all of the components of READS.