For educators, back to school season is a hectic, yet exciting time. While teachers have been sprucing up their classrooms, you – the ultimate teachers, have been sprucing up the kids. Depending on where you live, school has already started or will shortly. While often times kids may seem to dread the start of the school year, part of them is secretly curious and even happy about the fresh start. After all, it’s been a few months since they’ve seen a lot of their classmates. As parents, it’s important to help get your kids pumped! Below are some more tips to make sure your kids are getting excited and ready for the first day of the 2011-2012 school year.
- Continue to talk to your kids – encourage them to discuss areas of concern. Older kids may be concerned about social issues. As you reassure them, ask if they would like to hear your stories about what you experienced as a kid. Do not hesitate to embellish details for a laugh or a gawk.
- Together, set up the perfect study and homework place (click on this article for our suggestions: (OurKids Blog Part 1).
- Get your kids back into a routine that fits school schedules
- Review important information – cell phone numbers, etc.
- Plan a first day of school dinner celebration with family
And our final advice is … Remind your kids that you are always there for them!